Thursday, October 22, 2009

Treasures In Old Letters From Family Members


Some special treasures are old letters. Tonight I am going through old letters from family members.

There are letters my dad's mother wrote to him. She will get cancer and pass away within a couple of years.

There are letters written by my mother to her mother. She is sharing she is not feeling well and is scared. There is polio going around. This is in 1952 and she would get polio.

Letters that grandma wrote home while visiting my mom after she got polio. Included was a letter I wrote to her husband, my grandpa. Of course I am 4 years old and it is not possible to make it out what I wrote to dampa.

Along with these letters are the envelopes with addresses, this way we can see where my mom and dad were living in Texas during this period of time.

These treasures are from the 1940's to the mid 1950's. I am putting into mylar pages and including the envelopes. This will keep them safe for future generations.
Always sad to see old letters, cards and postcards thrown away or sold at estate sales. This if great family history that should be treasured.

7 comments:

  1. I agree, how sad to find old letters, photos etc that no one wanted. My grandfather was an avid writer and we all have stacks of letters from him but I can't bring myself to throw any away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for sharing something ssoo precious..

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very sweet. And how very true. It is so sad to see someone's letter that really belongs to a family member. Thanks for sharing.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - that is really awesome that you have these letters. A snapshot of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful VTT post, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree...old letters hold certain things an electronic email does not. I am very late in finishing up my VTT visits...life got in the way of my blogging!!! So sorry to be so late....great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry I'm so late......what a treasure you have there! Letter writing.........a lost art. Now it is e-mailing or with my kids - texting! I have a few letters from my grandmother and my Dad that I treasure too. Good idea using the plastic pages!

    ReplyDelete