Thursday, December 10, 2009

Chistmas Memories My Mother and Grandma's Vintage Brooch


Christmas time always brings back memories of family members who have passed on. During the last years of my mother's life money was tight so instead of buying us gifts she would give us treasured belongings of hers. She always felt it would be nicer to give a new gift but I always told her this meant so much more to me. How I looked forward to Christmas to see what she had picked out for me. This is my most prized treasure from my mother.


It is a vintage pin broach and came packed in a older Sarah Coventry box with a note. It is surly not Sarah Coventry. The note in my mom's hand writting says

" This is a Pin or Brooch I bought for mama about 1942. Paid about $12.00 ( whole weeks wages and tips ha!) "

Pin is missing a few rhinestones but so beautiful and is very heavy.

Hope that you have enjoyed reading my story and seeing my mama's pin that she gave to my grandma.

Happy Vintage Thingies Thursday . Be sure to visit others at http://coloradolady.blogspot.com/2009/12/vintage-thingies-thursday-vintage_09.html

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely story and what a sweet memory you have of your mom.

    Cheers,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing! I love pieces with history

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post with beautiful memories. Thanks for sharing!
    Living it up at Lakewood,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's a good way of giving gifts to older children, especially if you are short of money. Unfortunately, there are many people who don't believe in saving anything old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree...no gifts can be purchased to replace the love of a treasured family members cherished things....I would rather have that then something new....loved this heartwarming post. Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We both have stories of our mothers and something they passed down to us. I hope you have girls that you can someday pass this to them. You have a sweet memory. Thank you for visiting junkblossoms. Please visit again. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely story, that was how it was done then!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my what a beautiful brooch. What sweet family memories.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete