Thursday, February 4, 2010

1927 Marriage Certificate Donald Gould & Evelyn McCoy Vintage Thingies Thursday



It always amazes me at what you may find at a thrift store and how sad it is that some family has separated themselves from a true treasure.

Awhile back I was searching one of my usual haunts and spotted this vintage marriage certificate in a frame. I only paid a couple of dollars for it and am using the frame for something else. My plan is to put it on eBay and hopefully a family member will spot it or it will go to a collector.

This marriage certificate is in great shape. It tells us that Donald F Gould and Evelyn McCoy were married the 14th day of September 1927 at home in the city of Houston Texas. The minister was Thomas Windham and the witnesses were a Rudolph Christiansen and Mildred Hochmuth.


A search on www.ancestry.com gave me no further information on this couple.
Thanks for stopping by and Happy Vintage Thursday ... Grace

13 comments:

  1. What an interesting find. It really makes a great showing for VTT. Some people just do not care about things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting one! I do agree with LV, it seems people care less about marriage itself, not only the paper.

    You Got a Posty

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to think that someone would let a treasure like this go. I've been working on my families genealogy for the past few years now,and I can't tell you how happy I was to be able to get a copy of one set of grandparents wedding certificate. I was happy dancing all over the place,so I can't imagine someone letting this go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finding a part of someone's family history is interesting and raises lots of questions. I wonder if they had children? How long they were married? What a good vintage item.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a really beautiful piece of history! Such a shame, because if I had my parent's certificate, I would definitely frame it, treasure it, and hopefully pass it down to other relatives. I sure hope you find the family!
    Happy VTT!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! So sad that someone discarded this. I would think someone in the family would cherish it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, hard to believe this was at a thrift shop...it is amazing. Have a great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sad that it was found in a thrift shop. Such documents are so beautiful though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes sad that it has been separated from the family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree that it is sad it is no longer with it's family. I feel the same way about old pictures and old family Bibles. Hopefully someone from that family will see it and want it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your certificate is just lovely. Sad that no one treasures it now - but it will find a good home I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for your comments, it has a home with me until I find either a family member or a collector. I could not find them in the 1930s census so still working on it. I hoped by putting the names in the headline may find someone out there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww, makes me sad that it was at a thrift store.

    ReplyDelete