Thursday, March 11, 2010

Orphan Photo # 52 Bride and Groom Wedding Photo CDV from Sweden



Orphan Photo # 51 is a beautiful vintage CDV wedding photo. Sadly there is no name listed on it. Photographer is Ida Harckner, Malung.
What a beautiful bride in her veil to the floor.I love vintage wedding photos and to see the change in style of wedding dresses.
The groom appears to be a few years older than the bride.
I would date this to the early 1900's or very late 1890's.

Did a google search and found this little bit of information on Malung, Sweden. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malung

Thanks for stopping by for vintage thingies thursday. Hope that you enjoy my vintage photos. You can visit others sharing their vintage items at http://coloradolady.blogspot.com/2010/03/vintage-thingies-thursday-fun-finds.html

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful picture but so strange to see a bride in black with her pretty white trims.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her dress is pretty. I love old photos and sadly have a bag of them from Germany with no names. Supposedly they are family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always amazed at these vintage wedding photos...no one is ever smiling!!! So funny to me! Have a great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear there is no name. Black does look strange to us for weddings, but - cultures are different, and perhaps the religious tradions were different back then too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great wedding photo. I wonder where they lived and how many children they had.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe her dress was not black...I mean it IS dark, but it looks lighter than his suit...Many times, brides just wore their "best" dress, not a new white dress...I guess we'll never know...but it's fun to speculate!very interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love old photos. I wonder if they were really as happy as they look? ;0) People always were very serious about having their picture taken. The old photos are so special. I have a project going to scan my own families very old photographs. Peace, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an interesting wedding outfit. I love the baby photo in your header - looks like a kewpie doll!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found this on a Swedish genealogy forumm and tried to translate for you. I hope you can understand my translation:

    The peasants used to wear a parish costume for different ceremonies, as weddings and funerals.
    But the parish costume became outdated by the end of 1800 - and most people began to emulate the upper-class taste and style when selecting bridal dress. In contrast to the nobility, however, the peasants could not afford to have more formal dresses than one and since this must be used at all occasions, including funerals, it must be black. It was also considered haughty to use white, even boastfully. The veil could, however, be white. But in the 20's the white dress was introduced even among the peasantry.

    //Elenor in Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elenor in Sweden thank you for your translation. you have added so much to my picture of this great vintage wedding photo

    ReplyDelete