Saturday, April 2, 2011

Vintage Orphan Photo # 99 SEPIA SATURDAY ~ EARLY 1800's PHOTO / PORTRAIT ~ WISH THIS WAS MY ANCESTOR


Today I went to a estate sale and in the garage on a shelf I found this photo. Right next to it was another of a gentleman and as I looked at this one a man spotted me and grabbed that one in case it was a treasure. Darn it next time if I spot two old photos I will grab and then look and check out the price.

Well I got one great old Sepia photo and will resell it on eBay. Sadly there is not name but she is really something in her period dress and bonnet.  Not sure of when this would of been taken but I will guess early 1800's and hope that some of you can help me with the date.

She appears mid age to older and with a very serious face with down turn mouth. Photo measures 11 inches by 13 1/2 inches so would of been in a frame and hung on a wall at one time.

I found other items at the estate and church sale but this was the only old photo.

I will be sharing this at Sepia Saturday

Hope that you enjoy this wonderful vintage photo and thanks for stopping by.. Grace

5 comments:

  1. I might be wrong, but I'm thinking maybe it's an enlargement. A photo taken of a photo which might have been a tintype or daguerreotype. It just has that photo of a photo look to it and seems too large to be as old as you think.

    Perhaps someone else will have more exact information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I wouldn't know, but T&L above is the photo expert. Whatever the case, it's an interesting old photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could be right I do not know. It is on a hard card board type material. I have a large photo of my grandfather and his mother and grandmother about this size and it was made about 1911 later than this woman. Thanks for your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is just a guess but both from the process and from the dress - and from the solidity of the pose that would suggest that we are looking at quite slow shutter speeds - I would guess we are talking 1860s or 70s. Whenever it was, it is a fine piece of history

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe she's looking so disgruntled because she will be hanging on the wall of strangers. And after she raised all those kids...

    ReplyDelete