Saturday, November 17, 2012

SEPIA SATURDAY 152 ~ Young Lady Reading Her Bible

For todays Sepia Saturday the theme is reading. I love to read mysteries. I admit I love use bookstores and love the smell of an old book store. Hubby and I owned a used bookstore and for two years had 2 stores.


I searched among my collection of old pictures and found this wonderful cabinet photo of a young lady sitting with her bible in her lap. She is pointing to a certain verse but of course we have no idea what verse.
Bibles are important today but in the 1900s they really an important part of the family life. I have a collection of old family bibles. One of my favorites belonged to one of my great grandmothers.
I hope you enjoy looking at this wonderful old photo. Sadly I have no idea who she is or even where it was taken.
Her dress is full and has puffed sleeves and around her neck is a heart pendant. I would guess she was in her early 20s when taken.

Thanks for stopping by to see my Sepia Saturday posting. I will be sharing this over at Sepia Saturday of UK . Take a moment to peek at what others are sharing. You never know what you will find. Grace

10 comments:

  1. Lovely photo - I don't think I've seen one before where the sitter is pointing to a bible verse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guess is that the Bible verse is one of those stern ones - she doesn't look particularly happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But how do you know that it is a Bible she is reading?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything about the photo is lovely from the pose to the chair to the clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting and beautiful cabinet photograph. Inkognito photgraphs have many possibilities to guess about the person, which makes it interesting, alas a conclusion is always missing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely photo! I think it's wonderful that you have so many family bibles. Those must truly be treasures to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with Bob. Looking at the cover, which seems to be rather limp, I don't think it is a Bible. Most of the old Bibles I have, have a hard cover.
    The nice thing about (my) Bibles is that (my) ancestors have made notes of important dates in their lives such births and marriages. Family Bibles in the true sense of the word!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an attractive photo. Everything looks perfectly composed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, it is a wonderful photograph. One is certainly tempted to wonder what particular verse she was pointing out, but the prosaic truth is probably that the studio photographer simple told her to point to the page.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It might be a personal bible with soft leather binding and fine thin paper. Or a book of poetry. A serious verse in either case. The heart locket is important in the interpretation too.

    ReplyDelete