Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Sepia Saturday 161 Vintage 1920s 1/26/2013 Black and White Photo Men And A Bottle Of Beer Break

Sepia Saturday is here again. I love to post a picture for this weeking posting but some times the week gets away from me.


This is my weeks entry, not quite on topic but close enough. Here we have a group of 14 young men out doors by a stream. All but 3 are holding a bottle which I am guessing is beer. On the ground right side are 4 more bottles standing amoung the ground cover. Near by are baskets or boxes of apples and a large knife sticking nearby in the ground.
The majority are dressed with dress shirts and ties, some are casually dressed. Behind the two men on the right side you can see hats hanging on the tree branches.
What is the meaning of the picture? Group of friends out together for some beer and apples. Is it a group of men who sell beer and it is a promotional picture?
I have no idea, no names written on it but a great photo any way. I am guessing age is 1920s to 1930s and measuring 10 inches by almost 5 1/2 inches.
Take a peek at what others are sharing by clicking the above link. Fun times and fun pictures every Sepia Saturday.
Grace

14 comments:

  1. They are dressed nicely too, with ties, and the one standing on the far left seems to be the most modest as he holds his bottle down low, not to show off! I can't quite make out what the man sitting with the record player in front of him is holding. At first I thought a beer can (it would be the only one) but probably they weren't making beer in cans yet. What ever and who ever they are, it's really delightful thinking about what they're up to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great eye, I missed the record player with all the leaves on the ground, thought it was just a suit case then I saw the turn table. Not sure what he is holding but is holding something. could be a chicken leg or turkey leg.
      What else am I missing in this busy photo

      Delete
  2. They look like they are members of some club having a picnic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat picture! They could be a men's Sunday School class, except for the beer. The first guy on the left in the bottom row looks like he is a character. There is so much to see and imagine here. This would be a good writing prompt photo.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It certainly looks like some sort of outing and they look quite serious considering they're holding beer bottles! I am as mystified as you are. but I'm sure someone will come up with an answer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure there are lunch bags in the mix, so they must have been out exploring, hiking, fishing, something. I've never understood the ties with such activities, but we've seen it before in other pictures. This is a great picture for a game of "I Spy."

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it was in England I'd have said it was a Stag Outing. If it is Beer Bottles, then it must be Post Abolition, unless its a Mobsters' Picnic

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's quite a range in ages. How about a work day out?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe it's a work-based party - Christmas break-up, end of harvest. What country do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry to disappoint you, haven't got a clue as to what we are looking at. Mysterious and intriguing picture!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Intriguing photo. I would love to know the story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is one of those glorious photographs that really comes alive when clicked and enlarged. Whatever the story, I raise my own bottle of beer in celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great picture for guessing games. Someone's story waiting to be told.

    ReplyDelete
  13. that photo really is a puzzle. Why are they so dressed up for an outdoor picnic (?) and why the record player. Where are the ladies?
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete